It was my great fortune to marry my Sallie just a few weeks after graduation and she has been by my side for the last 50 years. While I was in Vietnam in the 11th Armored Calvary Regiment, our daughter was born. Returning from Vietnam, I had assignments at Ft. Hood where our son was born. Afterwards, I attended the one-year British Long Armour course on armored vehicle design in Dorset, UK and then had a stint at Grafenwohr, Germany. Our most memorable assignments were our three tours at Fort Carson with the 4th ID, one of which took me to Operation Desert Storm.
1991 found Sallie and me in Erlangen, Germany commanding 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division. I retired from FORSCOM at Ft. McPherson in 1998. After retiring, we spent 3 years at a faith-based residential program for at-risk boys. Completely retired now, the hardest work I do is practicing the piano for about 2 hours a day. All in all, it’s been a grand life; Sallie and I are now relishing having family nearby and are blessed with ‘the fruits of liberty’.
- The Greatest American I Have Met – 2010A few years ago – 2010, I think – my son called and said, ‘Hey, dad – we would like to take you and mom to Maui this spring – on us! ‘ Well, you […]
- The Long Road from Tipperary – 2018In 2018 my granddaughters’ school organized a Commemorative tour of WWI and WWII battlefield sites to honor the 100th anniversary of the WWI Armistice. Historians note that WWII was really a continuation of WWI following […]
- Until the Storm Is Over – 2018In the spring of 2018, Sallie and I accompanied our granddaughter’s school outing on a field trip to France and Belgium to honor the end of the First World War. The trip schedule took us […]
- What West Point Means To Me – Dick WallaceTo assess the impact of West Point on me, I conclude that the guiding influence was from the classmates with whom I had the most association. A-2 mates and those that I served with over […]
- The “Wow” Test – 1971What’s the “Wow Test” and why does it matter to my business? Well, let me tell you a story. The setting is the Vietnam-jungle; hot, talcum powder dust, dirt, the entire genus of ant – […]